This was the very first bus acquired by the original Lancastrian Transport Group for preservation back in January 1983.
Ribble operated many early Leyland Atlanteans including some 'lowbridge' examples which featured curious seating layouts on both decks because of the constraints imposed to achieve the low height around a traditional rear axle.
No. 1805 is an example of this type and was new in June 1962 as part of a batch of 14 buses (1801-1814). Originally based at Blackburn, the bus was later transferred to Penrith in the north of Ribble's territory and converted for one man operation.
The bus ended its operational life at Morecambe and Lancaster, by this time wearing the typical National Bus Company poppy red livery. Withdrawn in 1982 it was purchased for preservation and during 1984 was returned to its original cherry red and cream livery. 1805 was withdrawn from the LTT's operational fleet during 2002 in need of framework repairs to the lower panel sections.The 90th anniversary of Ribble in 2009 prompted us to return 1805 to operational condition and work started in January on framework repairs allowing the bus to return to use.
In February 2017, 1805 was treated to a further repaint in Ribble cherry red, with late 1960s style lower case fleetnames.