The 20 Brush Railcoaches of 1937 are represented in our collection by 287 and 295 (later 632). Whilst 287 represents the original style with streamlined livery
and twin indicators, 295 is to be preserved in its later guise with single indicators as car 632.
295 entered service on Friday 28 August 1937, initially from Rigby Road depot but from 1940 it was allocated to Bispham with all its sisters and followed a similar career path to 287 until the early 1970s. The 1968 renumbering saw the 18 survivors (284-300, 302) renumbered 621-638; 295 becoming 632.
Various modifications had begun with single indicators being fitted; some cars receiving rubber mounted roof windows, others losing them completely; sliding roofs going; English Electric controllers and motors being fitted from EE Railcoaches; air operated doors being replaced by hand operated folding ones and concealed lighting replaced by bulbs. Despite this 632 remained largely original until it was set aside for overhaul at the end of the 1973 season. The construction of the OMO cars caused a backlog of work and 632 did not returned to service until March 1976 in its new form.
632 remained in half green/cream until 1983 when it received an all-over advert for Wilson’s Brewery, ahead of its 150th anniversary the following year. With the exception of a short span in fleet livery in 1993/4, 632 has received a number of all-over advertising liveries, culminating in the application of a blue coloured advert for the Sea Life centre in 2003.
2003 was to be the Brush cars’ Indian Summer with extensive service use due to a temporary ban on double deck operation to Fleetwood due to track defects. However, in 2004 the Balloons returned with a vengeance and at the end of the season 632 was one of 9 Brush cars withdrawn (though two were later reinstated) as part of a significant reduction in the size of the operational tram fleet. After five years in store it was bought by LTT in October 2009.
In March 2010, 632 entered Blackpool Transport's paint shop for a repaint into the half green and half off-white livery of the late 70s/early 80s as part of a sponsorship deal with Trams Magazine/The Blackpool Tram Shop. 1970s style illuminated roof advert boxes were fabricated by the BusWorks - recreating another lost aspect of Blackpool's tramway history. 632 returned to service on 26 June 2010 for operation during 2010 and 2011, finally being withdrawn on the last day of traditional tramway operation in Blackpool on Sunday 6th November 2011.